Welcome to Waltz Time
Waltz Time is an all-volunteer group of dancers who have produced the twice-monthly waltzes at Glen Echo Park since 1995.
The group has donated all net proceeds to the renovation of the Spanish Ballroom and the Bumper Car Pavilion, and to help
continue Park programs. All of the Sunday afternoon waltz dances are held at Glen Echo Park,
7300 MacArthur Blvd., Glen Echo, MD 20812 in the Spanish Ballroom or occasionally in the Bumper Car Pavilion.
We are pleased to announce that Waltz Time will sponsor dances for the remainder of 2021. In light of the COVID situation, there are new requirements for attendees as follows:
- PROOF OF VACCINATION REQUIRED: Attendees must have been fully vaccinated at least 2 weeks prior to attendance. Show your vaccination card (or electronic copy) at the door, or email a copy to email@example.com at least one day before the dance. You need to provide this proof of vaccination only once for the rest of the year. (See notes below)
- MASKS ARE MANDATORY while in the Spanish Ballroom. (See NOTES below)
- LESSON: A lesson is included in the cost of admission and runs from 2:45 pm-3:30 pm. The lesson starts with basic concepts for those not familiar with the folk style of waltz. At 3:15 pm, we teach an "advanced" step for returning dancers looking for something extra to add to their repertoire. We will minimize partner changes during the waltz lesson.
- DANCING to live music runs from 3:30-6:00 pm.
- DONATION: Glen Echo guidelines and our processes are in flux so watch this space for updates. At present we are inviting people via our Facebook Group or Waltz Time News email list. Please follow directions to provide your vax record card (if not already done so), and contribute your donation at the door (recommended $15, or $5 for full time students, cash or check but no credit cards). Newcomers to our dance or those making a late decision to attend should come directly to the ballroom.
- ATTIRE is casual.
- PARTNER not needed; prior experience not needed.
These restrictions are compliant with current Park and County guidelines - if those change, Waltz Time may be forced to make changes at short notice. Please be patient.
For the well-being of your fellow dancers, if you test positive for Coronavirus or have the symptoms of COVID, please take another short dance break and return 1 week after a negative test or 2 weeks after the symptoms have resolved.
These requirements are based on current guidelines and discussions with numerous dancers. If you are not vaxed, or disagree with wearing masks in the ballroom, we look forward to your return to these dances when the restrictions are lifted.
Attending a WT event is an at-will scenario. Attendees know that social waltzing requires close contact with partners and others on the dance floor.
We have set restrictions as part of our best efforts to allow Sunday waltzing to return to the Park while abiding by Park and County guidelines, but Waltz Time does not guarantee these guidelines are perfect. If you are unwilling to accept the risk inherent in a social dance event, we are happy to welcome you back when the coronavirus situation has resolved.
2021 Sunday Afternoon Waltzes
All waltzes are in the Spanish Ballroom unless specified otherwise.
September 5: (Bumper Car Pavilion) FREE DANCE featuring WALTZ SISTERS with musicians Tina Chancey (fiddle) and Liz Donaldson (piano).
Beg. Lesson 1:30-2:00 pm; Dancing 2:00-4:00 pm
October 10: DEVINE COMEDY (trio) with Steve Hickman (fiddle, harmonica, vocals), Marty Taylor (winds, concertina), John Devine (guitar, vocals), Brian Farrell (bass)
October 24: SUGAR BEAT with Elke Baker (fiddle), Susan Brandt (flute), Marc Glickman (piano)
November 7: WALTZ SISTERS with Tina Chancey (fiddle), Liz Donaldson (piano), Ralph Gordon (bass)
November 21: TAYLOR AMONG THE DEVILS (trio) with Steven Hickman (fiddle, harmonica, vocals), Marty Taylor (winds, concertina), Jonathan Jensen (piano, vocals)
December 5: EVENING STAR with Steve Hickman (fiddle, harmonica), John Devine (guitar), David Crandall (sax, flute, french horn), John Bryant (bass)
December 19: (Bumper Car Pavilion) ROSE BY THE DOOR with Elke Baker (fiddle), Marty Taylor (recorders, concertina), Liz Donaldson (piano)